The outbreak of the infamous coronavirus has claimed the lives of over one million people worldwide. The daily unpleasant news and isolation can take a toll on people’s mental health, and to add unemployment in the mix can be stressful and can cause depression and anxiety.
Finding a job during this very uncertain time can be demanding and nerve-racking. The fear of being infected by the novel virus and the constant fear of not finding employment can give one anxiety attacks.
Job search anxiety during this pandemic.
- The first thing we have to try to tackle is the negative thoughts. You may have been laid off due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Accepting that the reason for your unemployment is not your fault is the first key. Blaming yourself will only bring more negative thoughts. So, acceptance (as hard as maybe) and letting go of the self-blame will liberate you. Try reading or watching motivational books or videos. Do try to tune out the daily displeasing news.
- Keep yourself busy. Why not prepare yourself for your upcoming interviews? Research everything you can about the company, you have applied for the job, and the latest tech trends. You could also update your resume or take up online classes. Taking up skill-building classes is the best way to enhance your skills and maintain your confidence and competitiveness during these demanding times.
- Telling someone to “be positive’ can be such a cliche. So, let’s try something more practical to be positive. It’s a scientific fact that exercise releases endorphins, which trigger a positive feeling in the body. Plus, physical activities vitalize the body and mind as they stimulate the release of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. So, exercise regularly.
- Turn every rejection and defeats into your strength. You know what they say, “What doesn’t kill me only makes me stronger”. Never give up. Know that this is only a temporary setback.
- If you feel an anxiety attack coming, take some time off for yourself. Give yourself a little breather and bear in mind that your mental health is as important as your physical health.
We all know the current situation is temporary and things will definitely improve for the better. The most important thing right now is how well you handle the current situation and keep yourself motivated & competitive…. we hope the above mentioned points help you in this direction.
Until next time, adieu and best wishes to you all.
For the most recent job opportunities in India, you can visit and register yourself at contract-jobs.com